- Lee CF, Fong DY, Cheung KM, Cheng JC, Ng BK, Lam TP, Mak KH, Yip PS, Luk KD. Referral criteria for school scoliosis screening: assessment and recommendations based on a large longitudinally followed cohort. Spine. 2010;35:E1492-1498.
- Lee CF, Fong DY, Cheung KM, Cheng JC, Ng BK, Lam TP, Mak KH, Yip PS, Luk KD. Costs of school scoliosis screening: a large, population-based study. Spine. 2010;35:2266-2272.
- Luk KD, Lee CF, Cheung KM, Cheng JC, Ng BK, Lam TP, Mak KH, Yip PS, Fong DY. Clinical effectiveness of school screening for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: a large population-based retrospective cohort study. Spine. 2010;35:1607-1614.
- Fong DY, Lee CF, Cheung KM, Cheng JC, Ng BK, Lam TP, Mak KH, Yip PS, Luk KD. A meta-analysis of the clinical effectiveness of school scoliosis screening. Spine. 2010;35:1061-1071.
Fulcrum Bending Radiographs
Mannem A, Cheung PWH, Kawasaki S, Shigematsu H, Cheung JPY. What determines immediate postoperative coronal balance and delayed global coronal balance after anterior spinal fusion for Lenke 5C curves ?. Eur Spine J. 2021 ;30(7) :2007-2019. Doi : 10.1007/s00586-021-06807-2.
Ohrt-Nissen S, Shigematsu H, Cheung JPY, Luk KDK, Samartzis D. Predictability of coronal curve flexibility in postoperative curve correction in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis : the effect of the sagittal profile. Global Spine J. 2020 ; 10(3) :303-311. Doi : 10.1177/2192568219877862.
Ohrt-Nissen S, Luk KDK, Samartzis D, Cheung JPY. Selection of the lowest instrumented vertebra in main thoracic adolescent idiopathic scoliosis : Is it safe to fuse shorter than the last touched vertebra ?. Eur Spine J. 2020 ;29(8) :2018-2024. Doi : 10.1007/s00586-020-06398-4.
Ohrt-Nissen S, Kamath V, Samartzis D, Luk KDK, Cheung JPY. Fulcrum flexibility of the main curve predicts postoperative shoulder imbalance in selective thoracic fusion of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. European Spine Journal. 2018 ;27(9) :2251-2261. doi : 10.1007/s00586-018-5669-y.
Cheung JPY, Yiu KKL, Vidyadhara S, Chan PPY, Cheung PWH, Mak KC. Predictability of supine radiographs for determining in-brace correction for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Spine. 2018 ;43(14) :971-976. doi : 10.1097/BRS.0000000000002503.
Shigematsu H, Cheung JPY, Bruzzone M, Matsumori, H, Mak KC, Samartzis D, Luk KDK. Preventing fusion mass shift avoids postoperative distal curve adding-on in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2017 ;475(5) :1448-1460.
Yao G, Cheung JPY, Shigematsu H, Ohrt-Nissen S, Cheung KMC, Luk KDK, Samartzis D. Characterization and predictive value of segmental curve flexibility in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis patients. Spine. 2017 ;42(21) :1622-1628.
- Samartzis D, Leung Y, Shigematsu H, Natarajan D, Stokes O, Mak KC, Yao G, Luk KD, Cheung KM. Selection of Fusion Levels Using the Fulcrum Bending Radiograph for the Management of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Patients with Alternate Level Pedicle Screw Strategy: Clinical Decision-making and Outcomes. PLoS One 2015;10:e0120302.
- Cheung KM, Lam JW, Samartzis D, Lu WW, Luk KD. The use of a modified fulcrum for fulcrum bending radiographs: a technical note. Journal of orthopaedic surgery. 2014;22:248-251.
- Luk KD, Cheung WY, Wong Y, Cheung KM, Wong YW, Samartzis D. The predictive value of the fulcrum bending radiograph in spontaneous apical vertebral derotation in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Spine. 2012;37:E922-926.
- Cheung WY, Lenke LG, Luk KD. Prediction of scoliosis correction with thoracic segmental pedicle screw constructs using fulcrum bending radiographs. Spine. 2010;35:557-561.
- Cheung KM, Natarajan D, Samartzis D, Wong YW, Cheung WY, Luk KD. Predictability of the fulcrum bending radiograph in scoliosis correction with alternate-level pedicle screw fixation. Journal of bone and joint surgery (American). 2010;92:169-176.
- Luk KD, Don AS, Chong CS, Wong YW, Cheung KM. Selection of fusion levels in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis using fulcrum bending prediction: a prospective study. Spine. 2008;33:2192-2198.
- Cheung KM, Lu DS, Zhang H, Luk KD. In-vivo demonstration of the effectiveness of thoracoscopic anterior release using the fulcrum-bending radiograph: a report of five cases. European Spine Journal. 2006;15 Suppl 5:578-582.
- Luk KD, Lu DS, Cheung KM, Wong YW. A prospective comparison of the coronal deformity correction in thoracic scoliosis using four different instrumentations and the fulcrum-bending radiograph. Spine. 2004;29:560-563.
- Luk KD, Cheung KM, Lu DS, Leong JC. Assessment of scoliosis correction in relation to flexibility using the fulcrum bending correction index. Spine. 1998;23:2303-2307.
- Cheung KM, Luk KD. Prediction of correction of scoliosis with use of the fulcrum bending radiograph. Journal of bone and joint surgery (American). 1997;79:1144-1150.
- Cheung PWH, Cheung JPY. Does the Use of Sanders Staging and Distal Radius and Ulna Classification Avoid Mismatches in Growth Assessment with Risser Staging Alone ?. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2021. 26 ;479(11) :2516-30. Doi : 10.1097/CORR.0000000000001817.
- Cheung PWH, Canavese F, Luk KDK, Cheung JPY. An insight of how multiple skeletal maturity indices can be used for growth assessment : relationship between the simplified olecranon, simplified digital, and distal radius and ulna classifications. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2021 ;30(4) :371-380. doi : 10.1097/BPB.0000000000000760.
- Cheung PWH, Cheung JPY. Sanders stage 7b : Using the appearance of the ulnar physis improves decision-making for brace weaning in patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Bone Joint J. 2021 ;103-B(1) : 141-147. Doi : 10.1302/0301-620X.103B1.BJJ-2020-1240.R1.
- Bian Z, Guo Y, Lyu XM, Yang Z, Cheung JPY. Relationship between hand and wrist bone age assessment methods. Medicine (Baltimore). 2020 ;99(39) : e22392. Doi : 10.1097/MD.0000000000022392.
- Yamamoto Y, Shigematsu H, Cheung PWH, Okuda A, Kawasaki S, Tanaka Y, Cheung JPY. How do we follow-up patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis ? Recommendations based on a multicenter study on the distal radius and ulna classification. Eur Spine J. 2020 ;29(8) :2064-2074. Doi : 10.1007/s00586-020-06441-4.
- Cheung PWH, Mannem A, Cheung JPY. Prediction of Final Body Height for Female Patients with Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Global Spine J. 2021 ;11(6) :833-844. doi : 10.1177/2192568220941450.
- Cheung JPY, Cheung PWH. Supine flexibility predicts curve progression for patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis undergoing underarm bracing. Bone and Joint Journal. 2020 ;102-B(2) :254-260. Doi : 10.1302/0301-620X.102B2.BJJ-2019-0916.R1.
- Cheung JPY, Cheung PWH, Yeng WC, Chan LCK. Does curve regression occur during underarm bracing in patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis ? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020 ;478(2) :334-345. doi : 10.1097/CORR.0000000000000989.
- Cheung JPY, Cheung PWH, Samartzis D, Luk KDK. APSS-ASJ Best Clinical Award : Predicting curve progression at skeletal maturity in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis using the distal radius and ulna classification. Asian Spine Journal. 2018 ;12(2) :202-213. doi : 10.4184/asj.2018.12.2.202.
- Cheung JPY, Cheung PWH, Luk KD. When should we wean bracing for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis ? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2019 ;477(9) :2145-2157. doi : 10.1097/CORR.0000000000000781.
- Wang SQ, Wang ZH, Shen YY, Zhao XY, Cheung JPY, Luk KDK, Hu Y. Skeletal maturity recognition using a fully automated system with convolutional neural networks. IEEE Access. 2018 ;6 :.29979-29993 doi : 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2843392.
- Cheung JPY, Cheung PW, Samartzis D, Luk KD. Curve progression in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis does not match skeletal growth. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2018 ;476(2) : 429-436. Doi : 10.1007/s11999.0000000000000027.
- Cheung JPY, Luk KD. Managing the pediatric spine : growth assessment. Asian Spine J. 2017 ;11(5) :804-816. doi : 10.4184/asj.2017.11.5.804.
- Cheung JPY, Cheung PW, Samartzis D, Cheung KM, Luk KD. The use of the distal radius and ulna classification for the prediction of growth : peak growth spurt and growth cessation. Bone Joint J. 2016 ;98-B(12) :1689-1696.
Wang XY, Yeung K, Cheung JPY, Lau JYN, Qi WC, Cheung KMC, Aubin CE. A novel scoliosis instrumentation using special superelastic nickel-titanium shape memory rods : a biomechanical analysis using a calibrated computer model and data from a clinical trial. Spine Deformity. 2020 ;8(3) :369-379. doi : 10.1007/s43390-020-00075-8
Cheung JPY, Samartzis D, Yeung K, To M, Luk KD, Cheung KM. A randomized double-blinded clinical trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of a novel super-elastic nickel-titanium spinal rod in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis – 5 year follow-up. European Spine Journal. 2018 ;27(2) : 327-339. Doi :10.1007/s00586-017-5245-x.
Liu X, Wu S, Yeung KW, Chan YL, Hu T, Xu Z, Liu X, Chung JC, Cheung KM, Chu PK. Relationship between osseointegration and superelastic biomechanics in porous NiTi scaffolds. Biomaterials. 2011;32(2):330-8.
- Liu XM, Wu SL, Chan YL, Chu PK, Chung CY, Chu CL, Yeung KW, Lu WW, Cheung KM, Luk KD. Surface characteristics, biocompatibility, and mechanical properties of nickel-titanium plasma-implanted with nitrogen at different implantation voltages. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2007;82(2):469-78.
- Wu S, Liu X, Chan YL, Chu PK, Chung CY, Chu C, Yeung KW, Lu WW, Cheung KM, Luk KD. Nickel release behavior and surface characteristics of porous NiTi shape memory alloy modified by different chemical processes. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2009;89(2):483-9.
- Wu S, Liu X, Chan YL, Ho JP, Chung CY, Chu PK, Chu CL, Yeung KW, Lu WW, Cheung KM, Luk KD. Nickel release behavior, cytocompatibility, and superelasticity of oxidized porous single-phase NiTi. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2007;81(4):948-55.
- Wu SL, Chu PK, Liu XM, Chung CY, Ho JP, Chu CL, Tjong SC, Yeung KW, Lu WW, Cheung KM, Luk KD. Surface characteristics, mechanical properties, and cytocompatibility of oxygen plasma-implanted porous nickel titanium shape memory alloy. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2006;79(1):139-46.
- Yeung KW, Cheung KMC, Lu WW, Chung CY. Optimization of thermal treatment parameters to alter austenitic phase transition temperature of NiTi alloy for medical implant. Materials Science and Engineering: A. 2004;383(2):213-8.
- Yeung KW, Lu WW, Luk KD, Cheung KM. Mechanical testing of a smart spinal implant locking mechanism based on nickel-titanium alloy. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2006;31(20):2296-303.
- Yeung KW, Poon RW, Chu PK, Chung CY, Liu XY, Lu WW, Chan D, Chan SC, Luk KD, Cheung KM. Surface mechanical properties, corrosion resistance, and cytocompatibility of nitrogen plasma-implanted nickel-titanium alloys: a comparative study with commonly used medical grade materials. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2007;82(2):403-14.
- Yeung KW, Poon RW, Liu XY, Ho JP, Chung CY, Chu PK, Lu WW, Chan D, Cheung KM. Corrosion resistance, surface mechanical properties, and cytocompatibility of plasma immersion ion implantation-treated nickel-titanium shape memory alloys. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2005;75(2):256-67.
- Yeung KW, Poon RW, Liu XY, Ho JP, Chung CY, Chu PK, Lu WW, Chan D, Cheung KM. Investigation of nickel suppression and cytocompatibility of surface-treated nickel-titanium shape memory alloys by using plasma immersion ion implantation. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2005;72(3):238-45.
Magnetically-controlled growing rods
Cheung JPY, Sze KY, Cheung KMC, Zhang T. The first magnetically controlled growing rod (MCGR) in the world – lessons learned and how the identified complications helped to develop the implant in the past decade : case report. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2021 ;22 :319. Doi : 10.1186/s12891-021-04181-0.
Zhang T, Sze KY, Peng ZW, Cheung KMC, Lui YF, Wong YW, Kwan KYH, Cheung JPY. Systematic investigation of metallosis associated with magnetically controlled growing rod implantation for early-onset scoliosis. Bone Joint J. 2020 ;102-B(10) :1375-1383. Doi : 10.1302/0301-620X.102B10.BJJ-2020-0842.R1.
Obid P, Yiu K, Cheung K, Kwan K, Ruf M, Cheung JPY. Magnetically controlled growing rods in early onset scoliosis : radiological results, outcome, and complications in a series of 22 patients. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2021 ;141(7) :1163-1174. doi : 10.1007/s00402-020-03518-z.
Cheung JPY, Cheung PWH, Cheung KMC. The effect of magnetically controlled growing rods on three-dimensional changes in deformity correction. Spine Deformity. 2020 ;8(3) :537-546. doi :10.1007/s43390-020-00055-y
Cheung JPY, Zhang T, Bow C, Kwan K, Sze KY, Cheung KMC. The crooked rod sign : a new radiological sign to detect deformed threads in the distraction mechanism of magnetically controlled growing rods and a mode of distraction failure. Spine. 2020 ;45(6) :E346-E351. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0000000000003268.
Wu AM, Cheung JPY, Cheung KMC, Lin JL, Jin HM, Chen D, Wang XY, Zhao J, Kwan KYH. Minimum 2-year experience with magnetically controlled growing rods for the treatment of early-onset scoliosis : a systematic review. Asian Spine J. 2019 ;13(4) :682-693. Doi : 10.31616/asj.2018.0272.
Cheung JPY, Cheung KMC. Current status of the magnetically controlled growing rod in treatment of early-onset scoliosis : What we know after a decade of experience. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. 2019 ;27(3).
Cheung JPY, Yiu K, Kwan K, Cheung KMC. Mean 6-year follow-up of magnetically controlled growing rod patients with early onset scoliosis : A glimpse of what happens to graduates. Neurosurgery. 2019 ;84(5) : 1112-1123. doi : 10.1093/neuros/nyy270.
Obid P, Yiu K, Cheung KMC, Kwan K, Ruf M, Cheung JPY, Reliability of rod lengthening, thoracic and spino-pelvic measurements on biplanar stereoradiography in patients treated with magnetically controlled growing rods. Spine. 2018 ; 43(22) :1579-1585. doi : 10.1097/BRS.0000000000002671.
Cheung JPY, Yiu KKL, Samartzis D, Kwan K, Tan BB, Cheung KM. Rod lengthening with the magnetically controlled growing rod : factors influencing rod slippage and reduced gains during distractions. Spine. 2018 ;43(7) :E399-E405. doi :10.1097/BRS.0000000000002358.
Kwan KYH, Alanay A, Yazici M, Demirkiran G, Helenius I, Nnadi C, Ferguson J, Akbarnia BA, Cheung JPY, Cheung KMC. Unplanned reoperations in magnetically controlled growing rod surgery for early onset scoliosis with a minimum of two-year follow-up. Spine. 2017;42(24):E1410-E1414. doi :10.1097/BRS.0000000000002297.
Kwan KYH, Cheung JPY, Yiu KKL, Cheung KMC. Ten year follow-up of Jarcho-Levin Syndrome with thoracic insufficiency treated by VEPTR and MCGR VEPTR hybrid. Eur Spine J. 2018 ;27(Suppl 3) :287-291. doi :10.1007/s00586-017-5164-x.
Wong CKH, Cheung JPY, Cheung PWH, Lam CLK, Cheung KMC. Traditional growing rod versus magnetically controlled growing rod for treatment of early onset scoliosis : cost analysis from implantation till skeletal maturity. J Orthop Surg. 2017 ;25(2) :2309499017705022. doi :10.1177/2309499017705022.
Cheung JPY, Yiu KK, Bow C, Cheung PW, Samartzis D, Cheung KM. Learning curve in monitoring magnetically controlled growing rod distractions with ultrasound. Spine. 2017 ;42(17) :1289-1294. doi :10.1097/BRS.0000000000002114.
- Cheung JP, Cahill P, Yaszay B, Akbarnia BA, Cheung KM. Special article: Update on the magnetically controlled growing rod: tips and pitfalls. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. 2015;23(3):383-390.
- Cheung JP, Bow C, Samartzis D, Ganal-Antonio AK, Cheung KM. Clinical utility of ultrasound to prospectively monitor distraction of magnetically controlled growing rods The Spine Journal. 2015
- Stokes OM, O'Donovan EJ, Samartzis D, Bow CH, Luk KD, Cheung KM. Reducing radiation exposure in early-onset scoliosis surgery patients: novel use of ultrasonography to measure lengthening in magnetically-controlled growing rods. The Spine Journal. 2014;14(10):2397-2404.
- Cheung JP, Samartzis D, Cheung KM. A novel approach to gradual correction of severe spinal deformity in a pediatric patient using the magnetically-controlled growing rod. The Spine Journal. 2014;14(7):e7-13.
- Akbarnia BA, Cheung K, Noordeen H, Elsebaie H, Yazici M, Dannawi Z, Kabirian N. Next generation of growth-sparing techniques: preliminary clinical results of a magnetically controlled growing rod in 14 patients with early-onset scoliosis. Spine. 2013;38(8):665-670.
- Cheung KM, Cheung JP, Samartzis D, Mak KC, Wong YW, Cheung WY, Akbarnia BA, Luk KD. Magnetically controlled growing rods for severe spinal curvature in young children: a prospective case series. Lancet. 2012;379(9830):1967-1974.